We are pleased to announce that we now offer the Complete Solution for your business needs – we can design, develop, host and maintain your application. Several customers have already taken advantage of our own development services and the design services offered through our collaboration with Sans Deputy Creative. Starting from today, for an additional optional annual fee, Cellcode also offers managed hosting services so that we can maintain your application and provide ongoing enhancements for the benefit of your customers.
If you are looking for a solution to support your business activities or you simply have a great idea for an app and would like to see it into fruition, Cellcode can help with the development process from start to finish. We support mobile-optimised web application development to suit all devices, as well as native applications for the world’s most popular mobile devices. Also, for an optional annual fee, we can also host and maintain your applications.
We support the following platforms:
- Apple iOS – Our platform of choice: target Apple’s extremely successful mobile devices, including the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.
- Android – Target a wide range of smartphones and tablets with integrated Google services from a variety of manufacturers.
- Microsoft Windows Phone 7 – Take advantage of Microsoft’s stylish mobile operating system, now Nokia’s smartphone platform of choice.
- Microsoft Windows 8 – Microsoft’s superb next generation operating system coming in 2012 for tablets and PCs.
- Microsoft Windows Mobile/CE – Target corporate PDAs and embedded devices.
- Web – Target the world’s most popular platform with a web app that works on virtually every smartphone, mobile device and computer available today.
- PC and Mac – We also develop software for desktop and laptop computers, should you require it. We offer custom software development for Microsoft Windows and Apple Mac OS.
Rich connectivity solutions
For a large portion of modern business applications, it is simply not enough to offer apps with limited connectivity options. Customers and users expect wireless data synchronisation with web services to take advantage of the always-on internet connections offered by modern smartphones and tablets. We believe that apps are actually a combination of services that work together so seamlessly that the transmission and synchronisation of data is completely transparent and inconsequential to the user. We are dedicated to delivering the whole experience – the applications to be released in the app stores and the web services and databases that run on your servers. We also support incorporating functionality from the most popular social networking APIs (such as Twitter and Facebook) as well as making the most of the targeted devices’ capabilities (such as GPS location services, accelerometers and motion sensors, cameras, etc).
Targeting multiple platforms
Creating a web app is usually the best approach if you want to target more than one platform with a single solution, because the vast majority of mobile devices available today provide sophisticated web browsers capable of rendering web pages to the same standard as personal computers. However, what you gain in cross compatibility, you will lose in rich functionality because web pages do not have access to the hardware functionality (such as device cameras) to provide the same level of experiences offered by native apps. If you would prefer to target multiple platforms with native apps, we can develop multiple apps that target the individual platforms with device-specific UIs, whilst sharing a common underlying structure between them.
Retail or ad-hoc deployment
Depending on the device(s) you wish to target, there are usually two avenues for releasing and deploying native apps: Retailers that enable consumers to purchase apps (such as the Apple App Store, the Google Android Market, the Amazon Appstore and the Windows Marketplace) or installation of the app directly on devices if it is not appropriate to offer the app to consumers. For example, if you wish to release an iPhone app, it can be offered via Apple’s App Store or installed directly on devices on an ad-hoc basis (subject to licence restrictions).
The development process
If you are interested in asking us to develop an app for you, here’s a brief overview of our approach to the development process:
- Determine what you’re looking to achieve with your mobile app. You can hopefully provide us with a design brief, but we can discuss the objectives with you and produce the design brief for your review.
- Evaluate the feasibility of the requirements. We will discuss the deliverability of the objectives outlined in the design brief and the relative timescales involved. Adjustments could be made to the design brief to allow for a phased delivery approach.
- Produce the functional specifications document. The document will outline the milestones in the project and describe in detail all key areas of the development process, including the user interface design and functionality/workflow process design.
- Produce the project plan. We will allocate delivery dates and timescales to the milestones outlined in the functional specifications document. Milestones indicate the completion of key elements of the project, usually at stages where testing can be conducted.
- Develop the app. Once the project plan has been agreed, we will start the development process and communicate project status updates regularly.
- Conduct alpha and beta testing. We will conduct alpha testing internally at early stages of the development process. In later stages, we will optionally open up beta testing cycles to select user groups.
- Upload to the app retailer. We will submit the app for approval from the retailer (such as the Apple App Store). The approval process may result in changes that need to be made. When the app has been approved, it will be ready to release to the general public.
- Seek your final approval. We will invite you to evaluate the final app and decide the prices to charge and the markets to sell it in. We will liaise with you to produce the marketing descriptions. screenshots to use and other marketing materials that should be uploaded to the app retailer.
- Launch the app. The app goes on general sale in the requested territories.
- Release app support updates. We will release updates to fix reported faults and defects free of charge under a 12 month warranty from the initial app release date. We will offer to support apps with further updates following the initial 12 month period for an annual support fee.
- Release app enhancement updates. As part of the feasibility study in step 2, we may have agreed upon an incremental release cycle. This will involve repeating the cycle from step 3 to release further enhancements to the app via updates.